Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day 31 on Captiva

This morning I again went to the beach at daybreak to check out the shells at low tide. I collected just a few including some sea urchins and small  pen shells that I normally do not collect.  Found several whole cockle shells. After less than an hour on the beach, I went back and Al and I decided to head to Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge to check out birds feeding at low tide and we were not disappointed.  Hundreds of birds were feeding on both sides of the drive....so many ibis, egrets, herons, white pelicans, gulls, ducks, and other shorebirds were busy feeding. Love to watch the white pelicans swimming and feeding as a group.   We only saw one lone Roseate Spoonbill....and he flew off just as Al aimed his camera....was the one who got away.....still in search for more. There was one lonely Yellow-crowned Night Heron feeding in the flats....we do not see them away from the shore line often.  Another rare sight was a Black-Crowned Night Heron in flight who flew over us at the cross dike. Another one was roosting or nesting? in a nearby tree.  There was also heavy traffic of bird watchers.  Guess everyone comes out for low tide.


Brown Pelican

White Pelican


Pied-billed Grebes

White Pelicans

Willet



 For lunch, I fixed homemade chicken salad that I served to Al in a sandwich with ciabatta bread and I served mine stuffed in a tomato. Yummy...love homemade chicken salad.

We spent another quiet afternoon on the beach. It is surprising that we were about the only ones here enjoying the beautiful weather and tropical breezes.

Tonight I prepared a light dinner of Sauteed Shrimp in a wine and lemon sauce. I served with roasted asparagus, fried corn confetti, and sliced tomatoes. I was tired tonight after a full day and fell asleep watching TV.  I think Al did too but how would I know??

No comments: