Sunday, February 12, 2017

Day 8 on Captiva

Early to rise on this Sunday morning.  We headed to the Farmer's Market about 9:00 to shop for tomatoes and other fresh veggies. We bought green beans, garlic, oranges, arugula, mushrooms, and more mozzarella cheese (homemade by Pete).  Al bought me a dozen beautiful pink roses.


We had breakfast at Jerry's Café .. ..Al had eggs, sausage, hash browns, and rye toast and I had half eggs Benedict with fresh fruit.
 
The café entrance had been remodeled slightly since last year with the addition of a Coffee shop.  After all these years, we found it more convenient to park underneath the store adjacent to stairs and elevator and easier to access the pickup area.  We shopped at Jerry's for some supplies and bought prepared Crab Cakes at the seafood market ready to cook.  Traffic was very heavy on Periwinkle going both directions when we drove back to the cottage....typical for this time of the season.
 
We spent some time at the beach and this was the best day so far....not too hot, just right as Goldilocks might say. There were shore birds but not yet in the numbers as last year.  More people too but not at all crowded.  After a stay in the sun, we headed back to poolside and Al served gin 'n' tonics. 

 


 
 
While I was photographing birds, I caught Al photographing this bird with his phone camera:
  
Tonight we had a candlelight dinner on the porch.  I served Crab Cakes that I gave my own touch by coating with Panko Crumbs before frying.  I made green beans that I steamed and added a touch of olive oil and basil.  The dinner was completed with a Caprese salad of fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic and oil dressing.   This was my favorite meal that I have prepared since being here.  Everything was delicious, even if I say so!

No comments: